Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Project Gratitude: MN SNAP

In September 2013, Maisy became suddenly and critically ill. Our blog readers rallied around us, providing us with the emotional and financial support needed to get through a very stressful time. Although I will never be able to pay everyone back, I can pay it forward through Project Gratitude. Each month, I donate my time or money to a person or organization that needs it. Please email me at reactivechampion(at)gmail(dot)com if you know someone in need.

This month’s Project Gratitude recipient is MN SNAP, the Minnesota Spay and Neuter Assistance Program. This is a great organization that offers free or reduced-cost spay and neuter (and vaccines and a microchip, if so desired) for shelters, rescues, and low-income pet owners.

MN SNAP actually came to my attention when I helped someone get their dog neutered through this program. For $100, the dog was neutered, given all his vaccines, and received a microchip. While I think these things are important for pet dogs, they would also be out of reach for many people due to the cost.

One newly de-balled dog. Thanks MN SNAP!

In addition to providing low-cost services, the people who work at MN SNAP are incredibly nice. They treat people with respect (which should be a given, but doesn’t always happen), and I was impressed with the quality of the neuter. Which, considering that’s basically all they do, yeah. They should be good at it. They provided excellent follow-up instructions, including contact info and referral to a vet clinic that does a sliding scale.

MN SNAP relies entirely on donations, and I was happy to help them. Money is tight right now (for obvious Maisy-related reasons), but I was still able to give them $20. If you’d like to donate, you can do so at this link.

No comments: