Tuesday, February 14, 2012

With Apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love your furry face and mismatched ears,
And the way you bravely face all your fears.
Your enthusiasm and joyful displays
Warm my heart and bring sweetness to my days.
I love the way you fill my life with light,
I love the sheen in your eyes when you’re right,
I love your tail wag when I give you praise;
You make me proud, pup- I’m your biggest fan.
It may sound silly and it may sound trite,
But I love you more since I first began.
Oh, please believe that I’m glad when you’re near,
For I love thee truly, and if I can,
I shall love thee better each passing year.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I don't think apologies are necessary. If I remember aright (I'd look it up, but that's cheating!), Elizabeth had a dog that she loved dearly, perhaps discussed in the book "furry muses" or some such, that also mentions Emily Dickinson's dog. I think.